Removable side walls for seamless vegetation
- GroRoof™ interlocking side walls mitigate soil migration during the planting and establishment period, and protect vegetation during delivery.
- Once the modules are installed, the interlocking side panels are completely removed – providing 100% soil integration from day one the same as a grown in place system (competing modular systems give partial integration, or no integration at all).
- GroRoof™ delivers a seamless natural surface during all seasons as opposed to other modular systems, where the division of each module is even more obvious during the winter dormant season.
Metro D-Lite® engineered lightweight soil
- A specially blended lightweight growing medium composed of organic and mineral materials. The percentage of organic to inorganic material is dependent upon the type of vegetation planned for the green roof.
- GroRoof™ has experienced horticultural experts who will be available to customize soil mixes and plant combinations for your design needs.
- Metro D-Lite® provides a stable substrate for vegetation and has excellent moisture and nutrient retention. The soil resists compaction and facilitates efficient drainage.
MGV GroMat® water retention filtration and aeration layer
- MGV GroMat® is made from 100% recycled polypropylene which absorbs and filters water.
- MGV GroMat® filters the water and prevents the flow of soil that could clog the drain system incorporated in the base panel.
Pre-grown established vegetation
- Pre-vegetated established GroRoof™ modules mean instant beauty from day one, compared to traditional grown in place systems that could take 18-24 months to establish.
- Pre-vegetation helps with weed management. (Yes, weeds even on a rooftop!)
- A pre-vegetated system is more cost effective than a system that requires individually placing each plant.
- Pre-vegetation also encourages a sustainable, successful green roof system.
Reservoirs for additional water storage
- The GroRoof™ platform contains reservoirs to store water with channels that interconnect each group of water reservoirs.
- The reservoirs encapsulate the water within each group of reservoirs preventing the flow to adjacent reservoirs.
- Even distribution within the total system prevents the stored water from completely flowing to the lowest elevation of the roof.
Air circulation and drainage channels
- Channels in the platform allow for the flow of excess water through holes in the channel and for air circulation through the same holes. These channels lessen the possibility of anaerobic conditions that can cause root rot.
- Air pruning – GroRoof™ is the only modular system that provides air root pruning by having an air layer between the base and the soil.
Integrated root stabilization and soil aerationThe MGV GroMat® has entangled nylon filaments to serve multiple purposes:
- Helps prevent the movement of soil and plants once the module is set in place on the roof.
- Helps mitigate the shearing of soil on a sloped roof when the soil is frozen.
- Helps aeration of soil, which is important for plant growth and survival.
- Helps minimize soil compaction, promoting proper drainage.
- Helps encourage root entanglement to provide plant stability in wind conditions and sloped applications.
- GroRoof™ installs seamlessly, due to its patent pending design, without the unattractive “grid” lines caused by exposed plastic or metal sides prevalent in other modular systems.
- Modules are easily removed, providing access to the roof below, which is important for any necessary roof servicing.